The Bottom Line on the Bottom Line

This is where you come on the net to find out why and how the entertainment business works from an industry insider

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Oscars- How did I do?

Overall it was a good year. I think that I did quite well. Especially in the categories that mattered and I must say that I guessed horribly in the categories where I hadn't seen any of the films, such as the documentary and animated categories.

Jon Stewart was a great host and the show was short, to the point and didn't lag very much. I think they were effective in keeping the speeches short and keeping things moving.

Here's a run-down of what I got right and what I got wrong:

Best Actor
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Dory's Guess: Philip Seymour Hoffman.
CORRECT

Supporting Actor
George Clooney
Dory's Guess George Clooney
CORRECT

Actress
Reese Witherspoon.
Dory's Guess Reese Witherspoon
CORRECT

Supporting Actress
Rachel Weisz
Dory's Guess Amy AdamsINCORRECT. But am glad Rachel won the award as now Regency's THE FOUNTAIN will gain in her award.

Animated Feature
Dory's Guess Howl's Moving Castle
INCORRECT- Should have gone with Wallace & Gromit which won the award and with Nick Park the creative mind behind the series who is a former Oscar winner. Didn't see any of the nominees. I suppose that was my disadvantage.

Art Direction
Memoirs of a Geisha
Dory's Guess: Memoirs of a Geisha
CORRECT


Cinematography
Memoirs of a GeishaDory's Guess Memoirs of a Geisha
CORRECT

Costume Design
Memoirs of a Geisha
Dory's Guess: Memoirs of a Geisha
CORRECT

Director
Ang Lee
Dory's Guess Ang Lee
CORRECT

Documentary
March of the Penguins
Dory's Guess: March of the Penguins
CORRECT

Documentary Short
A Note of Triumph: The Golden Age of Norman Corwin
Dory's Guess God Sleeps in Rwanda
INCORRECT- Again, having not seen any of the nominated shorts and going solely on the subject matter I place blame on getting this category incorrect on ignorance.

Editing
Crash
Dory's Guess Crash
CORRECT

Foriegn Language Film
Dory's Guess Tsotsi
CORRECT

Makeup
Chronicles of Narnia
Dory's Guess Chronicles of Narnia
CORRECT

Music-
Brokeback Mountain
Dory's Guess - The Constant Gardener
INCORRECT- here I knew it was a 2-horse race with Brokeback and was sure that John Williams had screwed himself over with his 2 nominations. Brokeback's theme music was great and added much emotion to the film. However, for me that added emotion translated into schmaltz and I gave the edge to Constant Gardener. I learned my lesson. Never fear the cheesy.

Song
Hustle and Flow
Dory's Guess: TransamericaINCORRECT- I truly believed the Academy would not vote for a song with the word "pimp" in it and I should have gone with my heart and not my head as you will see I was rooting for Hustle and Flow to win here and am glad that they did.

Animated Short
The Moon and the Sun an Imagined ConversationDory's Guess The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello- INCORRECT- Again, having not seen any of the nominees, I relied simply on the one-sheet.

Best Live Action Short
Six Shooter
Dory's Guess Our Time is Up
INCORRECT- Again, having not seen any of the nominees in this cateogry, I relied solely on the premise in making my selection.

Sound Editing
King Kong
Dory's Guess King Kong
CORRECT

Best Visual Effects
King Kong
Dory's Guess King Kong
CORRECT

Best Adapted Screenplay
Brokeback Mountain
Dory's Guess - CapoteINCORRECT - Here, I think the Academy was wrong. Capote's structure was tight, but this category was very rich and Brokeback got to me what seemed like two consolation awards- Director and Screenplay in response to not getting Picture.

Original Screenplay
Crash
Dory's Guess - Match Point
INCORRECT: Here I should have relied on the momentum that Crash had built and that Paul Haggis as a writer had attained this year for this film and last year for Million Dollar Baby. I went with my heart which told me that Match Point was the best written script of the year and the most courageous career move that Woody Allen could ever make. But ultimately, the head should have ruled out on this one.

Picture
Crash.
Dory's Guess Crash
CORRECT


TOTALS: 9 INCORRECT / 15 CORRECT (62.5 orrect)
If you exclude the Shorts, Animated Films and the Documentaries - my score improves to 5 INCORRECT / 14 CORRECT (74 orrect)

These scores - if you consider that an random selection would be 1 out of 5 in each category- equal to 20 to me are quite good.

Here's how I compared to the "experts" at Box Office Prophets.com and Noted Film Critic Roger Ebert

Dory Benami- 15 Correct
Kim Hollis- 15 Correct
Krovich- 15 Correct
David Mumpower- 12 Correct
Sulewski- 12 Correct
Roger Ebert- 16 Correct

1 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

I got 13 right. You're doing pretty good. I almost had all the top categories but I switched from Reese to Felicity in the last few days. And I got Best Picture wrong...picked Brokeback.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home