The Bottom Line on the Bottom Line

This is where you come on the net to find out why and how the entertainment business works from an industry insider

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Superman Returns - Review

Superman

Starring: Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth and Kevin Spacey

Directed by Bryan Singer

Studio: Warner Bros.



Having grown up watching the Superman franchise much of my young life was shaped by the caped superhero's flying, heroics and all-around greatness. To me Superman will always be Christopher Reeves. Sure Dean Cain, Tom Welling and George Reeve wore the Super suit, but Reeves was my Superman as a kid.
I fondly remember flying with a towel folded into the top of my shirt around the house and wishing I had x-ray vision or the ability to burn a hole into something with my laser eyes. Or super-man strength. That was probably the neatest super-power. Couldn't be shot by a bullet and could lift an entire building with ease. And who can forget the neatest trick of all- when Superman 2's Superman simply flew backwards around the Earth's globe reversing time and reversing all the bad things he let happen when he simply wished to be a regular man. Ah, such is the burden of Superman-dome.

Well without reminiscing too much let me tell you a little about SUPERMAN RETURNS and the newest Superman of them all Brandon Routh. Firstly, Routh is very much Superman-looking. He's tall, handsome, well built and delivers his lines in very much the same cheesy manner as Christopher Reeves. Only Reeves was able to show some range in later years, I don't think Routh will be able to. He is essentially a soap-opera actor who bartended at Lucky Strike Lanes in LA and other than a role as Superman every other year, I do not forecast much else for him. Also, to me he disturbingly very much reminds me of a very good looking version of Jason Schwartzman. Even talks like Schwartzman in a way too. Strange.

So that's Routh, now what about the story? The direction? Spacey and Bosworth? Well, the direction is good, sure the film is cheesy. But it's Superman- it has to be. And as for the rumors that the very gay Bryan Singer was directing a gay Superman film-they're not true. Well sort of not true. I did feel gay myself at times watching the film. And I suppose that's very liberated of me to admit, but it's true. The film is quite gay. Superman himself is quite gay. After all, he's a man who can have any woman he wants, but is too afraid to confront Lois Lane and let her know who he really is as Clark Kent or how he truly feels. Gay. But in a good gay kind of way.

Bosworth is hot as Lois Lane. She's feisty and sexy and beautiful. I just think that when they died her hair from blonde to black they forgot to wax off some of the blonde peach fuzz on her face and that kind of disturbed me. But then again, lots of things disturb me.


Spacey was good as is his romantic interest Parker Posey. They are both pathetic and evil and meant for each other. Spacey's not my favorite actor, but he did justice to the role and made a worthwhile gay nemesis for Superman.

On a scale of Hulk to Batman Begins, the new Superman Returns gets a Spiderman 2 minus. In other words, go see it, but you can wait a day or two to avoid the lines.

2.5 Stars

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home